Sunday, May 31, 2009

Abby AKA The Potty Training Prodigy

A week ago this past Thursday, Abby and I awoke as we normally do in the mornings. It seemed that the day would be the typical day with Lexi at school. I got up, brushed my teeth, and began to get dressed while Abby watched her kiddie shows in my bedroom. When I said it was time to go downstairs she asked, "I wear panties like yours?" Not believing my ears since she has not shown a remote interest in succumbing the potty training pressure in the past, I asked her if she wanted to not wear a diaper and wear panties instead. Now, with this question I was expecting a sudden change of mind. But not that day. Abby decided it was time to potty train and this time it would be on her terms. I followed along.

We went to her room and I took her panties out of her dresser and got her dressed for the day. I grabbed a handful of "spares" to take downstairs and followed Abby down for breakfast. It wasn't long until she waddled to me with a tell-tale stream marking her leg. I thought to myself that this was going to be equally as disastrous as our previous attempts but resigned myself to the fact that I should stick with it as long as my supply that I brought downstairs held out. So, we cleaned her up and she donned a new pair of clean, dry panties.

Another accident did occur, but it was markedly less than the previous oops. I could tell that she had started to go, felt the wetness, and stopped herself. This meant she had muscle control and I was thrilled because it was the second sign of the day that this would possibly be our last attempt at this venture (the first sign being that she initiated the process herself). As the day progressed, this same type of "oops" happened over and over but wasn't deterring us from the goal.

Three days later, the accidents were minimal, she told us every time she had to go, and we were going through less panties. She even began to wake up dry at this point too! The only real oopses she had were the dreaded #2s. Now why is it that many kids will agree to the potty being the place for #1s long before they fathom the idea that #2 should go there too? Anyway, this continued as the week grew long and I was so confident in her ability to tell me when she had to go and hold it until he could get to a restroom that I stopped having her wear pull-ups or rubber pants as insurance when we were out running errands.

Well, as of today, she has officially figured out where #2s belong. I am so excited I could scream! I swear she is a potty training prodigy and I am so happy. We still have her wear a pull up at night as an insurance policy, but she continues to stun us by waking up dry. I think that I could have quite possibly bought her last pull up. Could it be?

No comments: