Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RIP Cassandra Shaianne (AKA Cassi Shai, Little Cassi, Baby Girl) 9-4-97 to 6-30-09

My Dear, Sweet Cassi Baby,

For the past 9 years you have been my best friend and confidant. You have seen me grow up from a crazy teenager to the person I am today. I can say that I wouldn't be the same if you were not a part of my life. You helped to fill the void of the loss of Max (my dog from age 4 to 19) and ease the pain of his passing.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on you. I found an ad in the AJC for your breeder in Athens, AL. I called inquiring specifically about a little black princess and was told that you were there...seemingly waiting for me to take you home to your castle. I called Melanie and she went along for the 2.5 hour drive just to see you. You were so tiny and looked like a little ball of black fluff with only a white streak on your chest and chin. I knew from the moment I saw you that we were meant to be a team.

I remember when you came home. You would bound through the grass hopping as though you were a rabbit because the grass would tickle your tummy if you walked and you would be constantly stopping to thump your leg from the tingle of it all.

I remember your Little Houdini escape antics. They started in the crate when you would scale the wire wall trying to find a void that you could slip through. You'd get all the way up in the corner and have to be helped down.

I remember taking you everywhere I went in a towel-lined, shoe box-sized basket. Everyone that knew me knew that when I was coming over so were you.

I remember your plethora of cat toys because dog toys were too big and heavy for you. Specifically, I remember the fuzz ball on the spring that you would attack with all your might. That toy was only 18" tall, but you would still have to leap to tackle that fuzz ball to the ground.

I remember how you would incessantly beg to play fetch. When someone would throw the toy one time for you, they were in for a minimum one hour stint of repeating the action because you would not give in to their fatigue. You would let them stop only when you had your fill.

I remember when we first moved into an apartment. My roommate's dog was 10 times your size and I was so worried, that I decided a joint custody agreement with my parents in which you would stay with them during the week and me on the weekends was in your best interest safety-wise.

I remember when you ran away from that apartment and went missing for 6+ hours. My heart wrenched for you and I was terrified. I called anybody I knew that I was confident you would come to to assist in the search for you. You had found your way to the adjacent neighborhood and had stole the hearts of a preacher's family who bathed you and gave you warm dog food until Melissa came knocking on their door. I was so glad you were okay.

I remember how you climbed over the dog gate that was intended to keep you in the kitchen of the apartment we had with Stefan while I was at work. I was amazed when I figured out how you were getting out but not surprised given your early climbing tendencies as a puppy.

I remember when we brought Brandi home and how not-so-thrilled you were with her or us but how quickly you adopted Brandi as your sister.

I remember you protecting Lexi when she came home from the hospital so tiny and frail. You didn't want to get too close, but you were always close by to make sure that nothing happened to her and that we knew when she needed something by circling and yelping. You were her protector.

I remember the onset of your vestibular disease 3.5 years ago. The vet didn't think you'd make it through the night, but you were a fighter and proved her wrong. I remember thinking that was the end of the dog I knew and loved. In a sense I was right. You never were the same. The fetching ceased and the enjoyment of your golden years began.

Cassi, you have been there for me through thick and thin. Always at my side. Always there to soak up my tears with her velvety fur or to prance with glee when you knew I was happy. I love you more than you would have ever known. As good as a friend you were for me, I couldn't let you live in pain and discomfort any longer. It was time for me to be a good friend to you like you had been for me. Trust me. It was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. It should have been done a year ago, but I selfishly held on. As much as I tried to prepare for this day to come, no preparation would have been enough. I hope that you are at ease now and that you are prancing at God's feet begging him to throw that ball just one more time.

I love you Cassi. You will forever be loved and missed.

Mommy


Rest in Peace my canine angel.

Cassi Baby

9/4/97 - 6/30/09

No comments: