Thursday, November 08, 2007

Lexi's Soccer Finale

Lexi's soccer season is over. All in all, she did well. For most of the season she got out there and ran hard but hardly ever made contact with the ball. Finally, in the seventh out of eight games I decided to set a goal for her (no pun intended). I challenged her to kick the ball 5 times. Each time she'd kick the ball, she would look at me on the sidelines and hold up her fingers counting each kick and exclaiming, "Mommy, I got ___ (fill in the blank with the number) kicks!" When she got the fifth kick early in the game you could see her doing a little victory dance in the middle of the field and the action of the game. She was so proud and so was I! I decided to set the bar higher and challenged her to five more. That game she got 28 kicks in.

The next game was her last of the season. She decided she wanted to get 30 kicks, but I told her to start with 15. Unlike the previous week when there were 3 kids missing, her entire team was there for the finale so her play time was much less hence the lowered goal. That game she got 18 kicks in. Not too shabby. And she had a great time.





After the game, the team got together for awards. Each child got a trophy. This was Lexi's first trophy and she wasn't expecting it so she was very excited. She told me that she was going to polish it with a tissue to keep it nice and shiny.

Here she treasures her prize.





So, the season is now over. Lexi's a little upset because she was really just starting to get into it. She told me that she wants to play again so in March we will be making our weekly trips to the soccer field once more.

No comments: