Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lexism

When I was pregnant with Abby, Lexi couldn't wait for her baby sister to arrive. After the nursery was ready and awaiting Abby's arrival, Lexi would go in each night and pretend to say good night to the baby doll she insisted was in the crib. It was so cute and heart warming (especially to me with my raging pregnancy hormones!).

When Abby was born, Lexi thought she had an immediate playmate. She was quite surprised to find out that newborns were not play ready. So, she distanced herself and waited for the time when she considered Abby to be old enough to play with. That day has yet to come. It doesn't seem like it ever will.

Abby adores Lexi. She starves for Lexi's attention and wants desperately for Lexi to play with her. Lexi, on the other hand, could do without her lurking shadow of a baby sister. She will not share her toys, yet expects Abby to share hers. She constantly pushes Abby away when Abby tries to show her affection with hugs or kisses. She just simply cannot be bothered by her.

Yesterday, I sat Lexi down and our conversation went like this,

"Do you know how much Abby loves and adores you. She wants to do things the way you do. She wants to play with you and you always push her away. Do you think that might hurt Abby's feelings?" I asked.

No answer.

Quite frustrated, I continued, "When Abby was still in Mommy's tummy you couldn't wait for her to be born. What has changed?"

Lexi's head dropped and she slumped her shoulders a bit. "I just didn't know it would be this difficult!" she grumbled.

I stifled my laughs.

No comments: