Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Success in Baby Steps

I'm doing my field experience/internship in a school in an area such that half of the student population is considered "economically disadvantaged." This school is in its 4th year of "needs improvement" status which means that it did not meet Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) as determined by the state board of education for 4-6 years in a row. To say that this is a tough school would be an understatement.

As such, my little slice of sixth grade is no exception. There are students that I didn't think I would be able to reach-students that were just trying to get through school as something to check off their To Do list instead of seeing it as an avenue for a brighter future. This is heartbreaking to an educator that wants to make a difference.

For the first few weeks I felt like I was up against a brick wall. I was sure that there were some students that, no matter how hard I tried, I would not be able to reach. Today I found out differently. While helping a group of 4 students review for a test I mixed up two students' names. They laughed at me and I apologized explaining that I'm doing my best at trying to learn names while only in their classroom 4 hours a week. I told them that soon I would be in the class five days a week and that would last for five weeks. One of the "tough" students acted excited that I would be in the class more and then their face fell. They asked what would happen after those 5 weeks. Would I leave? Realizing that this type of reaction could stem from sources beyond my understanding, I was careful with my response. I told the student that I would have to go back to KSU to finish my studies. This seemed to upset the student at first, but then the whole group was curious. They wanted to know about my school and when I told them that it was pretty big and that I was getting a great education they all said they wanted to go there someday.

Now, I realize that these are just sixth graders and what they may say one minute, is long forgotten the next. But, I felt like a)I've already gotten through somewhat if the students like for me to be there and b) I may have influenced one of them to think that college is not only possible, but something worth pursuing.

Too cool! It's days like this, that make all the work and all the money spent on gas totally worth it.

No comments: