Friday, February 20, 2009

The Creeping Crud

Two nights ago, I detected Abby had a fever. It was only 99.6, but we gave her Tylenol and sent her to bed a little bit early. That night she woke up in the middle of the night and joined Stefan and me in bed seemingly not feeling well. In the morning the fever was still there, but I had a midterm so I had to go to school. When I returned home, she was down for a nap. An hour or so later, she woke up with a 103.6 fever. I called the doc and they were able to get her in immediately.

Well, it turns out that she has a case of the flu. The doctor (who was not her normal doctor) then gave me a lecture because she had not had her flu shot. I explained that every time she has gotten a flu shot there, the nurses tell me that it's a two-shot series. She gets the first shot, but when I try to get the second they are out. The doctor continued to make me feel like this year's recipient of The Worst Mom of the Year award and then goes on to say that this year it probably would've done no good because he's seen a lot of cases of the flu even if the kids had shots! What was the point of the lecture, then?

So, apparently we need to just wait it out and make sure that she's well-hydrated.
She's such a cute little patient. She's so helpless, yet so sweet. She wants to mostly cuddle and feel taken care of. Last night, she coughed herself awake at 9 and came down stairs. She asked for juice but fell asleep in Daddy's arms before she ever took a sip.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Later, she insisted that she slept in our bed again. Every time she'd cough, she'd tell us her mouth hurt...all night long. It was not a very restful night of sleep for me, but Stefan slept through it all.

In the meantime, I've come done with what I hope is only a cold. Runny nose, dry cough, and aches...oh MY!!!

No comments: