Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Week of Quarantine

For the past week, at least one person in the house has been stricken by the flu. Not the kind that has you sick to your stomach racing to the bathroom for one reason or another, just the cold-type flu that gets a grip on you and doesn't let go. It started with Abby on Wednesday night with a very low-grade fever. I took her to the pediatrician and they said it's the flu after which he gave me a lecture about not getting her a flu shot this year. Now, before you admonish me in the same way...every single time I've tried to get the girls flu shots there, they've been of the age that you have to have a two-shot series. The pediatrician would always have the shot available for the first round but never had it in stock for the second which rendered the first one completely useless. Anyway, the lecture ensued and finally, after making me feel like I'd just one the blue ribbon for Worst Mom of the Year, he said that this year it wouldn't have made much of a difference because he has seen a lot of cases of the flu in kids that had the shot. Mission complete, sir, you made me feel like a pile of dog doo for nothing. Thanks!

Anyway, Abby's illness progressed to high fevers, clingy attitude (which, if you know Abby, is pretty atypical), a cough, and something going on with her throat that made her sound like a goose when she spoke. She went an entire week without wearing clothes, she would just change from her pajamas into new ones. But, and I know this may sound bad, but given her independent nature, it was kind of nice to see her vulnerable.

I came down with it the day after Abby, but had pretty much recovered after 3-4 days. Maybe my quick recovery had something to do with the fact that I never spiked a fever. I'm not complaining, though. Just as I was getting better, Stefan started spiking fevers and her is just now starting to feel better after a week-long stint like Abby.

What about Lexi, you ask? She remains unaffected to this day. She's probably the carrier monkey that brought it home from school. Figures!

No comments: