Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Abby is a Diva

State's Evidence: Exhibit 1

Saturday was my nephew's birthday party. Stefan was already at my sister and bro-in-law's house helping to lay hardwood floor, so my duty was to get myself and the girls ready and meet them all at the Stevi B's in Cartersville by 3. All was going as planned until Abby decided to be a diva. With the weather being incredibly nice, I had picked out an outfit with pink capris and a short-sleeved shirt with a butterfly on it. She did not want to wear the outfit and insisted on heavy jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. I told her it was too warm for such clothing, but she did not want to hear it. At this point a simple debate became a battle of wills.

I tried to put the shirt on and, as soon as I could get one arm in the sleeve and move on to the next, she'd have the first arm pulled back out! I was frustrated with her. She was frustrated with me and this whole routine continued until 2:20 when I finally won. Now we were going to be pressed for time to get to the party. I got the girls loaded in the car and pulled out of the driveway with a now pacified Abby quietly watching Harold and the Purple Crayon in the backseat when I looked down at the dashboard and saw the gas light was on.

We eventually got to the party...a little late, Abby in her outfit that I picked out, and me with barely a voice to mention because I was having to yell over her screams throughout the tantrum. Fun times!

State's Evidence: Exhibit 2

Since being sick with the flu, Abby is obsessed with wearing pajamas. Every day she will get dressed and change into her pajamas a minimum of 3 times. The majority of the time at home is now spent in her "jammas" only wearing clothes if she knows we're going outside or somewhere. It's gotten to the point that I just keep her pajamas in a heap in the corner of the living room for the better part of a week before I consider them dirty because each time she changes into her "jammas" she puts on a different pair.

Anyway, last night Stefan gave the girls a bath while I folded laundry. I retrieved a pair of warm weather pajamas for Abby since a) her repertoire of "jammas" were all being washed in the same load (lesson learned here, and b) all of said "jammas" were heavy, winter flannel pajamas and the thermostat in our house is set at 77 balmy degrees during the warmer weather so I thought she'd be more comfortable. She did not like these "jammas" and wanted one of her favorites. Problem was that all her favorites were in the same load of laundry tumbling in the Whirlpool. She did not accept this as an answer and her tantrum began.

Stefan put her in time out and the screaming continued for quite sometime. She'd been there for awhile and would have been able to liberate herself if she'd just put on the perfectly fine pajamas that Mama had picked out. But instead, she screamed and cried wearing nothing but her diaper and her tears. Finally, after listening to the screaming long enough I told her she could wear the pajamas I picked out or go to bed naked in her diaper.

She chose naked in her diaper.

No comments: