Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A Bit Too Close to Home

Yesterday, my home phone and my cell phone were ringing off the hook due to calls, voice mails, and text messages from Kennesaw State's automated alert system that there was an escaped prisoner that was tracked to our campus. Fortunately, I was already home from my morning classes; however, I am a bit concerned. News reporters on campus were doing there stories with students milling about in the background as the campus was on supposed lock down. I've read many comments on news stories online of some students not being notified at all to the point that they were allowed to go to the parking deck that the inmate had been tracked through because they were not aware of any "situation" going on at the time. Seriously?

Anyway, three hours after the initial warning was sent out, the University lifted the lock down but had canceled classes for the rest of the evening saying that they had conducted a "thorough search". Thorough my behind! A thorough search of the University would have taken all night and probably most of today. Do you know how many classrooms and offices there are at KSU? A lot!

How can they be sure that this guy isn't lurking somewhere until we're lulled into a false sense of security to assume that he has left the campus? I mean really, a college campus is an easy place for a thirtysomething male to "blend in". It is my understanding that, since he was a prisoner that was being transported across state lines, that he would not have a weapon, but that is not to say that he hasn't obtained one since! I pray for the safety of all at KSU. I pray that no one became a victim of his selfish urge to escape. And I pray that they catch this bastard so we can get the thoughts out of our minds that he could still be somewhere on campus.

No comments: