Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Chanukah blunder

Okay, I'm not Jewish. But Stefan and his family are and we are raising the girls with the knowledge of both religions. Since most of the Jewish holidays start at sundown, Stefan misses out on lighting the menorah with the girls and whatnot. I often feel like the blind leading the blind as I don't know Hebrew and thus do not know by memory the prayer your supposed to say when you light the candles. Well, according to my calendar, Chanukah was yesterday. So I brought out the menorahs and tried to located my sheet that had the prayer on it. I couldn't locate it, so I called Barbara and Dennis to bail me out of this one. Dennis answered the phone and I asked if he would like to lead Lexi through the lighting of the candles. He obliged. He started with telling Lexi over speaker phone how to set up the menorah and kept mentioning that she needed a helper candle and two others. "Why?" I was thinking to myself since there's only supposed to be one candle for each day. Apparently, what my trusty calendar didn't tell me was that yesterday was the first FULL day of Chanukah and that it actually began the night before. I felt like a big dufus and was apologizing to my in-laws profusely who claimed that it was okay and that they were just glad that I was doing this with the girls on my own while Stefan was at work. I still felt terrible.

Anyway, Happy Chanukah everyone!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaiti,
We so appreciate that you are teaching Lexi and Abby about our oliday of Chanukah. There is no need for you to feel bad, and as I told you, we didn't like the candles at home on the first night because I got home so late. Thank you so much.
Barbara & Dennis