Monday, May 12, 2008

Kindergarten Awards Day

Although Lexi is officially graduating Kindergarten in two and a half weeks, her class held their end-of-the-year awards ceremony today. The teacher arranged the room with rows of chairs for the parents facing each other with an aisle in between. The class filed into the room and sat on a carpet at the back of the aisle. They performed a few of their favorite songs, the teacher read a poem entitled "Garden" (about hos, and seeds being planted and kids being eaten...or something like that, I don't know), and then the teacher called them one-by-one to receive their Kindergarten diplomas.



Then the teachers gave awards to each student. Let me tell you, some of them were a stretch (i.e. Most Energetic) and were nice ways of saying things that were a source of frustration throughout the year. Then there were awards that any parent would've been proud for their child to receive (i.e. Best Friend, Most Polite, Class Peacemaker, etc.). Lexi's award fell into the second category. She received the award for Best Author...and yes, we are very proud of her for that.



Afterwards, there were some refreshments and picture opportunities with the teachers and then it was over. There were a couple of times I felt a tear well up in my eye or a lump form in my throat. I can't help it. Words cannot describe how proud of her and her accomplishments I am. I guess it's just nice to see others recognize her for them too.



No comments: