Thursday, May 22, 2008

Poor thing!

The night before last Lexi woke up twice crying her eyes out. The first time happened around 12:30 a.m. Stefan got up and went to her room trying to curb her sobs. From the comfort of our bed down the hall, I assumed that she had had a nightmare. Stefan returned to bed shortly thereafter and didn't mention anything for certain that he found to be wrong. We went back to sleep. Suddenly, at 4:20 a.m., the gut-wrenching sobs floated down the hallway and woke me from my slumber. I went in her room assuming that it was another "nightmare". I pulled her close to comfort her when I realized she was warm. I asked her if anything felt bad to which she did not answer. I retrieved the medicine box and took her temperature-100.1 degrees. Not too bad, but I gave her some Motrin anyway.

When it was time to get her up for school she didn't feel warm on her face, but her neck and stomach were still a concern. I considered sending her to school since she didn't have a fever anymore because it was the end-of-the-year Kindergarten Luau and she was looking forward to wearing her grass skirt and coconut bra (over a tank top of course!) for the event. I asked how she was feeling and she said that the medicine helped so much that her throat didn't hurt anymore. Her throat? This was the first time she gave us an actual symptom. Not liking the whole "sore throat and fever" thing I told her that she would be staying home from school and we'd take her to the doctor. It turns out the poor thing has strep. In fact, her tonsils are so swollen that they are almost touching!

After the doctor visit, we went to Publix to fill her antibiotic prescription. While waiting, we walked the aisles of the store trying to get "sore throat friendly" foods that she could consume without gagging from the pain. We returned home but she was acting fine. After laying around and watching TV for a bit, she asked to go play outside. I told her 'no' and explained that she needed to rest. "I've already rested once and I'm tired of it!" she responded. It's pretty sad when a child needs to be told exactly how sick they are!

No comments: