Monday, November 27, 2006

Debby Downer: A sobering reality

Not your everyday blog
There comes a turning point in all of our lives when we stop being kids and start being adults. Some cross that line a lot sooner than others. Some are pushed into the role much sooner than they are ready for and, because of that, live lives that are much more mature than they are able to handle. For people in that type of situation, they never want to hear when they may be wrong or headed down a potentially dangerous path.

So, as an onlooker to someone who is careening head first and out-of-control down the wrong path, what do the adults in that person's life do? Do we reign them in and protectively hold them close? Do we set them free to make their own mistakes?

I have been put in an impossible situation that I fear every decision I make is the wrong decision. I pray every night for this situation to resolve itself and work out for the best. I trust that God will make this happen, but like many do, I question why God would have presented the situation in the first place. I know, Kaiti....have faith. Sometimes it's hard. It's hard to give something completely over and trust that it'll work out.

I have alienated someone I love with all of my heart because I was trying to look out for them in a time of need - when they needed responsible adults more than ever. Unfortunately, I don't think this person knows how much I love them because they have been influenced their whole life by someone who distorts the truth to suit their own purpose.

I don't know what to do. I feel so helpless. This situation can go from bad to worse at any moment. It doesn't matter, though. The only way this person will be happy is if their toxic environment stays intact. But that environment is unsafe on so many levels. At what point does one remove themselves from a situation completely and just let whatever will happen do just that?

No comments: