Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ponies, rakes, and dance
Current mood: busy

For awhile, I've been trying to convince Lexi to get her hair trimmed at the salon. She has been strongly opposed to the idea and from past experience I know that she will not sit still and will be absolutely hysterical if I try to force it. One night when I was talking to her about it she said, "Mommy, can you do it?" I tried my best and it didn't turn out TOO crooked. Well, Sunday night Lexi was being aweful quiet upstairs in her room. Usually this means that she's playing with her My Little Ponies in their castle she got for her birthday. When Stefan checked on her, he called me upstairs. Well, we'll just say that she saw where I got the scissors when I gave her a haircut. I know what you're thinking...she cut her hair. Nope that was me when I was her age - there's a picture of it somewhere. She decided that she was going to be a stylist to her My Little Ponies and scalped three of them.



It was one of those moments when, as a parent, you want to laugh but you can't let them see you do it. We had to punish her by taking away the rest of her ponies for a week. It wasn't because of the ponies. I could care less and if she wants butch ponies...be my guest. We had to punish her for playing with scissors without asking. You would have thought that the world was over. I wanted to give them back because she almost made me believe that the punishment didn't suit the crime, but I didn't.



Stefan felt so bad for her that he took her with him to the local nursery to pick out flowers for the backyard while I worked on a paper and Abby napped. Evidently, he decided that she should have a rake because that would make her feel better about the loss of her ponies since she loves to rake leaves in the backyard. (Sucker!!!) They didn't have the type he wanted so they made a special trip to Home Depot for one. When they came back, Stefan cut the handle to Lexi's size and she was thrilled. I know, you're thinking that she's not being punished. She asks for those stupid ponies everyday so therefore she's still being punished regardless.


Monday, my mother-in-law and I were able to observe in Lexi's ballet/tap class. It was so much fun to watch the girls do what the teacher describes as "interpretive dance." They were adorable when the teacher was doing the arm positions. The teacher would say, "high fifth?" And the girls would stretch their tiny arms over their heads to form ovals and scream at the top of their lungs, "HIGH FIFTH!!!!" This was hysterical to me. Lexi was very distracted by all the people. At one point she came over to me and said that she was nervous. Nervous is her new word and she uses it frequently and MOST of the time in the proper context. By the end of class, though, you could tell that she was becoming used to the attention and relished it in fact.

Afterwards, we all went to McDonalds and Nana came back to the house so Lexi could show her how well she is progressing with her reading which she loved and felt so accomplished when Nana left.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaiti,
The entry is terrific, exactly as you told me. I loved the video segment. It's certainly a wonderful remembrance. Thanks for sharing the experience with me.
Love,
Barbara