Thursday, January 31, 2008

Dear Tooth Fairy...the sequel

I got a text message from Andrea, a friend of mine and the mother of Ian who is Lexi's friend from school. The text said "OMG! [Oh My God] Call me". This is stirred my curiosity as she never sounds that urgent. When I called her she told me that while she was volunteering in the classroom today she was testing Lexi on a book when Lexi told her about her loose tooth (which has been loose since this time last year). This tooth has been quite the wiggler and she demonstrated that for Andrea. Andrea then told her that it was ready and if she twisted it one way and then the other and pulled, she was sure the tooth would come out. Lexi tried and the tooth began to bleed. Andrea asked the para pro for a napkin when the classroom teacher came over and reprimanded Lexi for putting her hands her mouth...again. Apparently she had been told not to, but you know how kids are! Anyway, the teacher explained to Andrea that Lexi had already been to the nurse for the bleeder earlier and explained that the nurse will usually pull the teeth if they look like they're ready. Lexi was crushed and on the verge of tears. Andrea felt terrible too because she felt like she got Lexi in trouble. When the teacher was away, Andrea apologized to Lexi and Lexi told her that she would talk to me about it after school to which Andrea said that was a great idea.

Well, today I was in school which means that Stefan met me in the parking deck with the girls and we trade so he can continue his commute to work. When I got in the car, Lexi spilled the news and she was still pretty upset. I told her not to wory about it and we'd deal with it when we got home.

When we got home I had Lexi wiggle her tooth and it was much looser than yesterday. I told her that if she continued to work on it, it would come out by bedtime. I was right! At 4:30 the tooth came out! We quickly put it in a plastic baggy and placed it...somewhere. Shortly after the extraction, I was cleaning the kitchen, talking on the phone, and getting the girls' dinner ready. In the midst of all of that, the tooth grew legs and walked away because it is nowhere to be found. I feel terrible. I went through every content in the trash can (which was full with debris and clutter that once adorned the counters) and did not find it. I wonder if Abby found the treasure and hid it, but you know she's not going to tell me one way or the other. Lexi was devastated. Without the tooth would the Tooth Fairy come? I didn't know what to do, so we wrote a letter to the Tooth Fairy explaining the situation. It was dictated to me as follows,

Dear Tooth Fairy,

I lost my tooth today. And then I lost it again. My mom and I looked everywhere but we cannot find it. We even looked in the trash! I hope you will still visit me. I will give you my tooth with the next one I lose if I find it before then.

Love,

Lexi


Heartbreaking, I know. Anyway here's Lexi's new grin.

No comments: