Thursday, December 14, 2006

Is there a (dog) doc in the house?

Current mood: anxious

Those of you who loyally read my blog know that my eldest pooch, Cassi, came upon some ruff (pun intended) times a couple months ago. It turns out that she had vestibular disease. The past two months she has been somewhat normal although slow partially because she is 9 years old, partially because of her bad knees, and partially because of the lasting symptoms of the disease.

The last two days, she has given me pretty good scares again. Yesterday, when I woke up, she was splayed out on the bathroom floor with her head tilted all the way over and was snorting like she couldn't breath. I thought that was the end for her. However, about 30 minutes later she was fine. Today, when she woke up she was fine. So I carried her downstairs and let her outside to do her doo - again she was fine. I went to feed the dogs (Lou and Brandi in their respective crates and Cassi free in the room) and no sooner did I put her food down and she tried to take the first bite it was like someone grabbed her in a headlock and wrestled her over. Her head was tilted so far that it was forcing her to do barrel rolls. I was mortified.

I got on the phone and called the vet. She's not in the office today. But while I was on the phone, Cassi stood up and it looked like she shook it off. She ate her breakfast, lapped some water from her dish, and walked around like nothing was wrong. The nice receptionist on the phone offered to make her an appointment for tomorrow, but I told her that I don't want to spend the money on the office visit if Cassi is going to be asymptomatic by the time I get there. My main purpose in calling was, if this is going to be something that afflicts her everyday the way it has, what quality of life does she have?

I guess I was wanting to pawn the decision off on someone else. I struggle with euthanasia because this is my first dog that I call the shots for and I just don't know where the line between murder and humanity lies. I mean this only seems to affect her 30 minutes per day at most. Is it easier for me because I won't have to watch it? Or is it what is best for dear Cassi?

If anyone knows a vet and wouldn't mind asking, please ask them what their opinion is in this matter. I would greatly appreciate it.

1 comment:

Simpleton Too said...

Kaiti,

I've been reading up on vestibular disease in dogs in my "free" time. Almost everything I have read indicates that dogs will go through phases that pass and the biggest mistake owners make is euthanizing their dogs because it seems so bad to them, not realizing that it will pass.

I also read that sometimes a serious inner/middle ear infection (or ear mite infection) may exist that doesn't emit the normal nasty smelling ear can make dogs appear to have vestibular disease when they just need antibiotics. Some antibiotics, like streptomycin and gentomicin can cause vestibular syndrome.

I read some helpful hints as well. They said to avoid lifting or carrying the dog because that distorts the dog's orientation and can bring on a bout. When you do have to carry Cassie, they suggest moving very slowly and smoothly while making sure you hold the pads of her paws. When you set her down, hold her while her paws are firmly on the ground and allow her eyes to focus.

I hope this helps.

Love you!
-Dawn