Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I will not! No way! No how!

Current mood: pissed off

So, I'm sitting in my teacher education class today and we're discussing an assignment. Out of the clear, blue sky the teacher holds his hand in the air and asks, "Who lives in Cherokee County?" Obediently, I raise my hand along with many others. Then he says, "Keep those hands up. Who plans on TEACHING in Cherokee County?" Some hands fell but mine and a couple others stayed up.

He then proceeds to tell us of a policy that the Cherokee County Board of Ed has for its teachers regarding drinking in public. Evidently, when you sign your teaching contract with the county there is either a clause or another "morality" contract that you must also sign that states that you are not allowed to drink in any public place in the county or it's considered grounds for dismissal because a student's parents may see you and use it to unfairly pass judgment on your character.

I'm not a big drinker, but I like a drink every once in awhile - especially if I'm celebrating a special occasion (a date without the kids qualifies). But what if Stefan is having a beer and a parent assumes that it's mine? What then? It's their word against mine. Do you think I'd still have a job? Probably not.

What's worse, a glass of wine with dinner or shopping for a Super Bowl party with a cart full of various beers and alcoholic drinks? The former being grounds for dismissal and the latter being allowable. This is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D!

In a time when we are hurting so badly for teachers, why is a county that is experiencing such growth giving teacher candidates such a trivial reason to get a job in another county? This is old fashioned. I thought we were beyond this narrow-minded way of thinking. All this and yet there are no measures or assessments done to see if a teacher candidate is at-risk for potentially "taking advantage" of their students! I could go on!

So I have decided (for now anyway) that I will not teach in Cherokee County unless this changes, because there are neighboring school districts that don't impose such rules and pay more! I was willing to take less money to work closer to home, but not anymore.

1 comment:

Simpleton Too said...

So, let me get this straight...

You can get all liquored up in the privacy of your own home (and in plain view of your own children), get others liquored up with you (given the stocking up for the Super Bowl example) or have the potential to "take advantage" of trusting children, BUT you can't have a simple glass of wine with dinner because a parent MIGHT see you and MIGHT pre-judge you? And they'll pay you less for the "honor"?

Do they still wonder why they don't have potential teachers banging their doors down?

"Oooh, oooh...PLEASE pay me less to take away my freedom!"