Sunday, January 28, 2007

A long, hungry week

Current mood: hungry

A YMCA opened in Canton months ago and I've always thought about joining given the facilities and the child care that is included with a membership. I did not, however, count on the monthly fee being so huge. That was enough to turn me away at first. Meanwhile, I encouraged my parents to go and check it out because I heard that scholarships are available based on financial need. Given the fact that they are both "retired" they qualified.

I just joined a little over a week ago due to the fact that the numbers on the scale reached a number I thought that I would only see as a pregnant woman. I knew something must be done. So I joined. Let me just vent about one simple thing with the Y though. The memberships there are so astronomical for a lone adult that both of my parents' memberships COMBINED equals 1/2 of my monthly membership!!! I thought that the Y was supposed to be the affordable alternative to pricey gyms. I was wrong.(end vent)

I don't regret it though. I am more comfortable there than I was at the last gym I was a member at pre-marriage, pre-kids, and pre-spare tire (coincidentally I thought I had weight to lose then and I was 25 pounds less than I am now). The first time I had a chance to take advantage of the facility was a week after I signed up. What's funny to me, is I lost 5 pounds in that week! I guess just knowing that I'm paying for it is enough to guide my hand in making better food choices. But I'll tell you this much...it's been a long, hungry week.

No comments: