Monday, July 23, 2007

Boys and their toys

Growing up Stefan had many of the same rules that most have. Until you are 18 or living on your own (whichever comes last) no tattoos, no motorcycles, etc. I don't know if it's his rebellious side or the influence of shows like Miami Ink or American Chopper, but since we have been married, he has felt compelled to break those restraints. Once Lexi was born, he had her name tattooed on his right arm and of course Abby took the space on his left arm with her arrival.

As if that wasn't enough to make the hair on his parents' necks stand on end, he has been mentioning a motorcycle for years. I have been highly opposed of this, but back in February I came to the realization that I could not be his mother and tell him that he could not do it. I knew that if I remained steadfast and refused him, he would only decide to do it in retirement when his ability to heal would be much less than that of his current, spry 30 years. For his birthday and Father's Day, I told him that he could take the motorcycle safety course to explore if this really was something that he wanted to pursue. He had a blast and I knew I was in trouble.

Last Tuesday, he purchased his new love which he promptly named Anita Ryde. Get it? I need to ride? haha. He's happy and I'm happy for him with reservations of course. His parents are less than thrilled. That was to be expected.

On the way home from the shop with it, I was following him in the car with the girls in the back seat. Lexi dropped a few little pearls of wisdom that just cracked me up. First, she asked what color Daddy's bike is. I told her it was red. She then said that it must be a Hhhhhhhhonda (because they had looked at Honda's previously and they were in fact red). I told her that it was a Yamaha. She then reprimanded me saying that she knows her colors and red means Honda!

Then she told me that Daddy and I could now ride our new bikes together. I told her that I didn't think I could pedal that fast and had to explain that Daddy's bike has a motor. Then I had to explain what a motor is.

Finally, she asked me if Daddy knew his way home on a bike - as if it would be any different than the way home in a car!

Yesterday, his parents met Anita for the first time. His mom congratulated Stefan through gritted teeth and his dad put on a brave face and expressed a slight curiosity about the machine (more for Stefan's benefit than his own I imagine).

Anyway, Stefan is loving his new toy. I'm happy for him...I just hope that this initial desire to ride all the time wears off a bit or some more rules will have to be put in place for the sake of family time.

No comments: