Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Abbyisms of the week

#1

Stefan owns a lawn service (common sense to some of you, but not to others). Anyway, he maintains properties all over the city of Canton which also includes some properties in our neighborhood--more specifically our immediate neighbors. Whenever he pulls up in front of the house, unloads his equipment and gets it going the girls go crazy. They'll go to the nearest window to catch a glimpse of Daddy. Lexi started this awhile ago and Abby now recognizes the familiar whir of the machines. Now, with Lexi in school, Abby has a front row seat at the window which is the perfect height for her to be able to see out of it unimpeded. She'll call out, "Daddy! Daddy!" and bang on the windows laughing and screaming screams of pure delight. Stefan sees these antics and performs little tricks that just crack Abby up.

The other night, while Stefan was at his "day job" a crew that maintains the common areas in the subdivision came to perform their duties. Abby and I were upstairs and she heard the groan of a backpack blower. She ran over to my bedroom window and started her usually antics screaming, "Daddy! Daddy!" It was so cute I had to call Stefan and let him hear what he doesn't when he is deafened by the hum of his equipment. He got a kick out of that. Meanwhile, Abby could not and would not understand that it was not Daddy out there after all and I didn't have the heart to press the issue with her.

#2

Abby has figured out what bath time means. I can spell B-A-T-H and she goes running for the stairs. Her climbing prowess is also at a level that she can climb into the tub unassisted but that's another story for another time I suppose. Anyway, tonight I said the word and she was off to the races skidding and falling on the entryway floor. That's how much of a rush she was in! That didn't halt her for long, though, she was up and climbing the stairs (with me close behind of course). When we got to the bathroom I started running the water and she was beside herself with delight. She started saying, "Gibbum, gibbum...GIBBUM!" while I was undressing her. Each time her tone getting more and more persistent. Anyway, I had no idea what she was trying to say until I told her to "get in". Oh my gosh! She was trying to say "get in". I tried to call Stefan so he could hear this too, but she would not "perform" while the intimidating phone was being waved in the air. We hung up and I eased her down into the bubbles and, in a relieved what-have-you-been-waiting-for tone, she sighed one last drawn out and satisfied, "Giiiiiibbuuuuum!"

No comments: