Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lexisms

Current mood: amused

Lexi's first crush

A while ago Lexi attended the birthday party of a little boy in her class named Ethan. When he saw her show up, he gave her a big hug and a crush was born. When he was tearing through his presents, he didn't stop to see who gave him what. He did, however, stop to open Lexi's and thank her profusely for an art kit and educational toys (not the normal reaction from a boy). Anyway, Lexi has mentioned him numerous times since then. He goes to the same centers/stations during their creative time at school and sits next to her during lunch and snack.

Tuesday, I did Lexi's hair in two french braids - not an unusual occurrence but you'll understand in a minute. This morning she asked me to do her hair in braids again to which I obliged. While twisting and braiding I asked her why the special request.

"Because Ethan said he liked it," she replied.

Lexi's allowance,a responsible choice, and Scrooge...err Daddy

Lexi gets an allowance - not much, but enough for what she is able to contribute around the house. The main purpose is to teach her that everything costs money and also the lesson of saving your money for the things you want.

A couple of weeks ago, she and I were shopping Wal-Mart and she saw a Sleeping Beauty lamp that she wanted for her room. It cost $15 and she didn't have enough money at the time so I told her to save her allowance for a little longer and she would be able to buy it if she chose to.

Well, this Friday her allowance tallied up to $15 and I told her so. Her first reaction?

"I can buy my Sleeping Beauty lamp!"

I took her shopping Sunday, but the Wal-Mart we went to was sold out of the lamps. She decided she wanted to look in the toy section. I found other princess lamps there, but it was not what she wanted at that point after seeing the abundance of toys that she could buy for $15. After striking out there, we moved on to Target where she purchased a My Little Pony toy.

Today, Stefan and I were shopping at another Wal-Mart and I spotted the lamp she wanted and it was on clearance for $7. I picked it up deciding to put it away for another occasion. When picking Lexi up from school I told her about the lamp being on sale. When she came home to a Valentine's card from my parents containing $5. I told her that if she wanted, she probably had enough to buy the lamp and she asked if we could go get it today. I told her yes and we got $7 from her piggy bank. I told her to pretend that Daddy was the store and she took him the $7. He, then, had the nerve to ask for an additional $0.42 for tax! Back to the piggy bank we went and got Daddy his darn tax and she got her lamp.

Immediately after putting it in her room she decided she would go upstairs and "study" by the light of her new lamp. Without further ado, here is the loot.

1 comment:

Simpleton Too said...

Somehow that doesn't shock me...poor Lexi! =) Mean Daddy! =) j/k, of course. I guess you've gotta teach the kid sometime that Uncle Sam needs his cut too.

By the way, let me know if Lexi figures out how exactly to disown Uncle Sam.