Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Who is "they"? And why are "they" the leading authority on all things unknown?

"They say..." How many times have I heard this? It seems to explain the unexplainable in such a convincing way that no on can question "they". "They" say that things have to get better before they get worse. "They" say that every cloud has a silver lining. "They" say that everything that happens, happens for a reason. Who is "they" and how do I find them so I can kick they's ass?

How can "they" say that what Stefan and I have been up against is justifiable? How can "they" justify that Lexi breaks her arm and is recommended for a referral to an ENT to check on her adenoids and tonsils for possible removal within a week of our awesome insurance going away?

How can "they" say that the mower that keeps the business running at a decent level conking out when we're in dire straits "happened for a reason"? When there is no money to fix or replace this mower, how is there a silver lining, they? I ask you because it appears very black to me!

How is Stefan losing his job and basically cutting our income in half right when I'm at the intense field experience portion of my program when I need day care the most a teachable lesson? It appears that the only way to sustain us reasonably would be for me to get a job at the risk of my grades or my education all together. How is this a good thing? How is this a teachable moment?

How is telling Lexi she can't do dance or any extra curricular that costs money because we can't afford it something that "they" can shrug off? It seems pretty obvious to me that "they" is heartless as well as childless because seeing the disappointment in your child's eyes when you have to tell them something like that, breaks your heart.

"They" might say that right now, the cards are stacked against us. "They" might say that we are in over our heads. "They" might say that things can't get much worse. Someone needs to tell "they" to shut they's flippin' mouth. I'm sick of "they" and their faceless, nameless, over-simplified opinions. For crying out loud, "they", can't someone just be down on their luck without your words being thrown out at them? Butt out already and let us enjoy our pity party for two!

I vote to stone "they" in a public square like in the old times? Anyone want in?


Disclaimer: "They" is not an actual person in my life. "They" is a completely unknown and fictitious character. Any commonalities between "they" and real persons is absolutely unintentional.

No comments: