Friday, March 23, 2007

My Home Team Baggage

At our church, we have Home Teams. To some this is like a bible study but the main purpose is to have a group of people to do life with. A group of people that will accept you regardless of your faults. People who will not judge you or look down on you, but will support you and lift you up in prayer when you need it the most.

I've been going to Ridge Stone church since it was in its infancy. At first, I'll be honest, I could take it or leave it. The music was loud. The band played too long. It seemed like the pastor and staff really were still trying to figure a lot out. I wasn't sure if this is what I felt I had been missing growing up for the most part unchurched. I didn't know if I could grow in my faith or learn from people that (as it appeared at the time) weren't sure how to reach me.

But something happened. My husband who is Jewish enjoyed going and, although his beliefs weren't necessarily in line with the religious aspect, he saw the sermons as motivational speaking with references to the bible and something that he could relate to in that sense. We did take a little break when my faith was seriously shaken during the time in which we were trying for our second child, but we did find our way back and I'm glad.

We've plugged into serving in the church and now I've plugged in in a more bold way. I actually finally joined a Home Team. These are small groups that have existed for quite sometime but I never felt compelled to join one. Up until now, I have been kind of a wallflower at church - trying to blend in and not be noticed because I had too many questions and uncertainties with faith and religion. I have recently realized that everyone (even the most devout and religious people) will encounter this sporadically throughout their lives.

Back in November, Gary posted some links to other church attenders on his blog. Not having a life, I checked them out just out of curiosity. Two women's blogs really stood out and I have watched them since. They were a part of a home team and spoke of it often on their blogs. I reached out and actually contacted one of them when she was going through a personal ordeal and I am thankful for the budding friendship and fellowship that I feel with her. Another woman in the group (whose blog I have been watching just as closely) recently posted that for personal scheduling conflicts she would have to vacate her spot on the home team that both women belonged to and said that anyone who wanted to join a great home team should use that opportunity to snatch up her spot. I was compelled to do so and tonight was my first night with this group.

You know the feeling you get when you're the last to join something? Like when you're the new student at the end of the school year? Or when you start a job that it seems everyone else in the office has been there for years and no one reaches out to you because they are established in their own cliques? I thought that may be what I walked into tonight. I WAS SOOOOO WRONG!!! These people are the best. They welcomed me with open arms and fed me with so much encouragement and support and knowledge. I went into tonight not knowing if I would return; not knowing if I would be in a situation where I felt like an outsider. Now, I am faced with trying to have the patience to wait for next week to come. Thank you guys for welcoming me.

Oh, and the food wasn't too shabby either. (Just had to throw that one out there.)

No comments: