Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Muddled Hodgepodge

Current mood: content

Mowin', mowin', mowin'


SGL Lawn Services has experienced a new phase of growth. First, let me start with the fact that it wasn't until last year that Stefan had enough work to merit the hiring of a helper. That guy was young and made young people mistakes and was not an option to rehire this year. I went into employee seek mode and spread the word around campus. Those efforts were fruitless. Then an author of a blog I read posted that her brother needed some work and fast. I wrote and told her that Stefan needed help and that if she wanted to pass the offer to her brother she could. She did and this has worked out beautifully. This guy is motivated and hungry for more hours. This has prompted Stefan to take the business to the next level - which meant either buying a company truck, a new mower, or an enclosed trailer. Ideally he would have done all of the above but the company can't afford it AND the worker and he definitely didn't want to lose the worker.

In the last week Stefan purchased a used ZTR (zero turn radius) mower. He's like a kid in a candy store. It's funny how something like that can instantly place him on a cloud of bliss. This mower is steered differently than anything he has used previously, so it's going to take some practice for him to operate it without damaging customers' properties so he is practicing in the field across the street from the house.




With the purchase of the new mower and the great help Stefan has now, we decided to place an ad in the local paper to take on more work. With the two of them and the new mower, they are now able to service more clients with the time that they both have to devote to the business. So, here we grow again!

We also finalized the new company logo today. New shirts, window decals, business cards, and stationary will be around soon. Once I get the final file copies, I'll post the new logo here. It is 10 times better than the clip art that Stefan has been calling a logo for the past 4 years.

These are exciting times for the company that's for sure!!!!



Stand in the place where you live!!!

While Stefan was playing...err testing out his new mower, I took Abby outside to watch Daddy. My arms got tired after a short bit so I stood her on the ground in front of me. Eventually she let go and stood on her own for the first time ever! She has done this 3 times since. I don't have any pictures because each time she does it, she is standing with her back to me in front of me and the only view I have is the top of her head. One day I'll get a good shot though and I'll post it here.


My blog book is here!!!


My blog book arrived today. It looks much better than I thought it would. I'm glad I did this and I have decided I'm going to print a new book each year from this point on. If you missed it before, you can order your own here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Stefan enjoys his new toy. Lots of good luck with the mower and may the business continue to grow faster than the grass.